Monday, August 18, 2008

August 18, 2008

Sweet deal on a TV!

It sucked sleeping alone and being away from Cheryl, but I got a good night’s sleep and woke up this morning ready for work. I made coffee and filled up a thermos for work and that worked out really well, so I’m going to do it again tomorrow.

Work was great, as usual. I’ve never had a job where I woke up in the morning and was excited to go to work, but being at Baseball America has been so awesome so far, that’s been the case. The days fly by and I hardly want to leave at night. I went in and did my morning work (my daily blog can be found here) and then started on a project that will appear in the next issue.

Another intern named Jesse picked me up for lunch and we headed out to a place called Moe’s, which is similar to Oobas or Taco Del Mar…. except, of course, they have sweet tea! The streak continues!

I realized I didn’t really have anything for dinner, so after work I went to a grocery store called Food Lion for a little shopping. I picked up a few boxes of spaghetti and a jar of sauce. Easy enough, right? Ha! I also made an impulse buy and got a Pop Rocks chocolate bar. My cashier gave his unsolicited opinion of the purchase.
“Whaaaaaat?” he exclaimed as he read the package. “Pssh … it’s prolly naaasty.”

Well, DeKaar, you are wrong, my friend. It was amazing. I was expecting crappy chocolate and really weak Pop Rocks, but the chocolate was really good and the Pop Rocks packed a punch. I can’t wait to have another one!

I got home and started cooking my spaghetti. It was an adventure, to say the least. I really didn’t think you could screw up spaghetti as badly as I did. The problem was that I tried to cook too much spaghetti in too small of a pot (the only one available). Oh, and the fact that I wasn’t really paying attention — I was looking for TVs on craigslist while it was cooking. So the water boiled out and some of the noodles burned on the bottom. So I ended up eating spaghetti that was both undercooked and burned at the same time. Go figured. At least the sauce was good! I had a goal of losing some weight while I’m out here and now I’m beginning to think that I might not even have to work out. My horrible cooking should suffice!

My ADD didn’t work out too well when it came to cooking, but I did find a TV on craigslist tonight. It was perfect. First of all, it was a crazy coincidence because the guy I found that was selling it is doing so because he’s moving to Seattle. Secondly, it’s a 19” TV that was listed for $75. I e-mailed the guy and said I was interested and he called me back right away and said that we could meet up in a few minutes, but that there was a problem with the listing — he put the wrong price. I figured he would want $100 or something, but he actually only wanted $35. He also asked if I wanted a free microwave or toaster. What a guy! He only lived about 10 minutes away, so I went and picked it up and then headed down to Target (again) to return some shorts that didn’t fit and pick up a few things. I got a cable, so I can watch TV in my room and got some drinks to stock my new mini fridge. I called Matt on the way home from Target and he’s loving his new job and said he’s planning to fly out and visit me sometime in October. That would be so sweet! Duuuude! Sweeeeet!

I hooked up my 360, played a little Madden and now I’m watching the Olympics before I call Cheryl one last time and head to bed.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Send me a few Pop Rocks candy bars when you send me your card - we'll eat them at our PR party and think of you!!!

Love you Con!

AMB said...

You are quite the bachelor with your burned pasta and mini-fridge. I now know what I want for my souvineer. Chocolate pop rocks. Better bring some back!