Monday, October 20, 2008

Catching Up After An Awesome Weekend

The reason I didn't blog at all this weekend is because two of my best friends, Matt and Kelly, came out to visit me. I've been friends with Matt since sixth grade and with Kelly since high school. People are always amazed that we all still keep in touch and hang out so often and I know I am very lucky to have such a great group of friends. My dream would be for all of us to live in a cul-de-sac together. Maybe if one of us wins the lottery...

Anyway, Kelly got in late Thursday night. I didn't have to work on Friday (taking a late Columbus Day off), so that was awesome. I picked up Kelly at the airport and we came back to the house. We got back at about midnight and just chilled for a little bit. At about 2 o'clock, Kelly suggested we hit up the grocery store. I wasn't tired, so I thought it was a good idea and we headed down the road to a place called Harris Teeter. It's open 24 hours and it's a nice grocery store, kind of like Top Foods. Kelly found a huge container of cheese balls and we both went some cereal. He went with a couple of my favorites—Golden Grahams and Cap'n Crunch and I tried a new kind, Keebler Cookie Crunch. I went all out, dumping the whole box into a big mixing bowl, which made Kelly laugh so hard, milk almost came out of his nose. I couldn't finish it all though, and the bowl ended up sitting in the sink for the rest of the weekend, getting really soggy and nasty.



We watched "Superbad" and didn't go to bed until 6 in the morning. That made me sleep in until 2:30 on Friday and I felt really bad, because Kelly said he woke up at 12:30. He said he didn't care, though, because he knew we'd make up for it that night. Did we ever...

I found a cool place online that I wanted to take Kelly for lunch. We headed out and found it, but it wasn't open. The reason I wanted to take him there, however, was not for the food, so it didn't really matter. The reason I wanted to take him there was for something the place has in the parking lot...an ass-kicking machine!

Kelly had some fun kicking his own ass...


Then he got ballsy and decided to turn around...


I had some fun too...


That was just the start to a kick-ass weekend! (rimshot!) The restaurant was out in Raleigh, near the airport, so we headed back into Durham and drove around for a bit, ending up at Elmo's Diner, where we had "breakfast." After that, we made our first Locopops stop. I had sweet corn and Mexican chocolate. Sweet corn was pretty good, but Mexican chocolate was the bomb—probably my favorite so far!

We came home and just chilled for a bit, watching some funny videos on the Internet, while we waited for Matt's plane to get in. Matt got in at about 8, so we headed out to the airport and picked him up. He was hungry, so we went to this place down the street from my house called Golden Corral. It's a buffet, but it's a lot better than Old Country. We all stuffed ourselves (I think it was the theme for the weekend). After that, we came home and watched "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," a movie neither of them had seen. After that, we headed back down to Harris Teeter to get some more snacks and so the fellas could get their drink on. We came back and played poker for a while and, once 3 o'clock rolled around, I knew I couldn't go to bed. See, I had agreed to drive one of my co-workers to the airport and he needed to be picked up at 6:45. If I went to bed at 3, I knew I wouldn't wake up and the last thing I wanted to do was flake out on being his ride to the airport. When I called my co-worker at 6:45 to tell him I was on my way over, he was like, "What in the world is going on over there?" I told him my buddies were in town and that we hadn't even gone to bed yet. He laughed and they ended up coming with me to the airport, bantering incessantly in the back seat the entire way there, which had him cracking up.

I finally got to bed at about 8:30 and slept until about 1. We woke up and headed out to show Matt around beautiful downtown Durham. We first headed to the Q Shack and it was awesome, as usual. Then we went downtown and hit up Locopops again. This time, I had chocolate rosemary (mmm!) and Moroccan curry, which was interesting. It was a coconut popsicle with curry powder mixed in. Not something I would think of, but I've never had anything bad at that place. I love it! Then we drove around Duke's campus. Cheryl—remember when we drove around there a bit? Well, inside that stone block that we saw, there's a road that heads out of there and the campus is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE! That little area we saw, is probably just about 5% of the campus. We drove around there and saw the Duke Chapel and all of the people heading to the Duke vs. Miami football game. After that, we headed to the mall and walked around for a bit. The guys did a little shopping and then we decided to see a movie. We saw "Sexdrive" (I guess it was the weekend of comedies). It was a little cheesy, but it was also a lot funnier than I expected. Overall, I would recommend it if you're a fan of "Superbad." Then we headed back down to Harris Teeter and picked up some pizza at a place called Randy's Pizza. It was awesome. We headed back to my place, watched the rest of the baseball game and then some SNL. It was a lot more low key. We just chilled out—Matt and I played some Fantastic Contraption on our laptops and Kelly beat Portal on my 360. We went to bed at 5.

Sunday we woke up and headed back out to Elmo's. I haven't been a lot of places around here, but I think I'd be hard pressed to find a better breakfast spot. We all pigged out on omelets and pancakes and then headed back to the house where we watched some football. We didn't really think about dinner (probably because we had breakfast/lunch so late), so by the time we got around to that, pretty much everything was closed. A fast-food chicken place called Bojangles was open, so we went there. Matt and I got some chicken biscuits and Kelly ate the leftover pizza. We came back to the house and played some poker while we watched the Rays beat the Red Sox to go to the World Series! What a great game! At about 12:30, I had to go to bed. The guys had to go to the airport at 4:45. They were going to just stay up and sleep on their respective planes, but I had to get some sleep because I had to work today.

My roommate got back late Sunday night and, as I was heading to bed, he told me it would be his last night in the house. He decided to quit his masters program and move back home and become a teacher again. Kind of a bummer and it sounds like I'll probably be getting another rommate, maybe two. We'll see...

So I went to bed, but woke myself up with hiccups at 3 in the morning. That has never happened to me before and it was very painful, because I also had some bad heartburn. My stomach felt like a garbage truck full of acidic pig slop driving down a freeway with speed bumps. Not fun. Just as I woke up, Kelly snuck into my room to get an iPod chord and I said hey. He said they were playing cards still, but had switched from poker to gin rummy. So I said, "what the hell" and headed back out there. We played some gin rummy until they had to head to the airport and then I got to sleep for a couple more hours when I got back. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I was still really wiped at work today. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I've been that tired. Needless to say, I came home after work and crashed in my recliner and now I'm about to head to bed after I click "Publish Post."

I came home for lunch and Josh was just packing up his car. We talked for a bit as I ate and then I did the dishes, because I didn't want his last memory of me to be the nastiest sink in the world. But then I had to go to the bathroom and he said goodbye by knocking on the door...so much for a good last impression!

This writeup probably makes it sound more boring than it actually was, but we really had a great time and I was so glad they could make it out here. I'm so lucky to have the best friends in the world!

No comments: