Friday, January 30, 2009

I got the job!



I think everyone who reads this site already knows, but I wanted to post on it anyway just in case. After six months of working hard as an editorial intern, I was offered a full-time position with Baseball America. I've absolutely loved my time out here, so the decision to accept was a no-brainer. Aside from the chance to write about baseball for the game's best publication and be immersed in the sport that I love 24/7, the work environment is just ideal. Everybody in the office is great, it's a fun place to be and I couldn't be more excited about this opportunity. It sounds cheesy, but I came out here to chase my dream job and now my dream has come true.

I'll be covering the draft, so I'll mostly be writing about high school and college players—mostly in the western states (minus California, which is its own beast). It will be a challenge, but it's certainly one that I'm looking forward to. Here's an example of the writeup we did for Washington last year.

Cheryl won't be able to join me until July, so I'll be living alone (still no roommate) until then. I will actually be able to come out to Seattle for a couple weeks between now and then, as my new bosses were extremely fair and flexible in understanding my unique situation. It will actually be perfect, as I'll be able to kill two birds with one stone and see some great players at UW and in the Seattle area during those visits.

I'll also have the opportunity to see a TON of baseball this year. I've already loaded schedules onto my calendar for UNC, Duke, NC State, ECU, the Durham Bulls, the Carolina Mudcats, the Greensboro Grasshoppers and the Burlington Royals. Plus, there's also some great high school players nearby this year and other tournaments and trips could be in the works. In April and May alone, there are only eight days where it's not actually possible to go to a game in the area. Think I can catch 100 games this year? I'll have fun trying!

Cheryl and I know it's going to be hard to be away from everyone and out here on our own. But we're going to visit as much as possible and are looking forward to this new chapter and our adventure together. Plus, I promised her a puppy. She's going to start a blog too (NorthCherylina.blogspot.com has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?).

I'll be sure to post more links to my writing and pictures of my cube once I get it all set up.

No comments: