Saturday, December 6, 2008

I cleaned my kitchen for nothing...

In an interesting turn of events, it looks like I might not be getting a new roommate after all. We'll see...

It was a fun day today. I did wake up at 7:30 to be awake when the potential new roommate got here to sign his lease and get his key (which didn't happen. He showed up, but didn't have money for first month's rent, which is obviously a problem). After that I went toodling around Durham. There was a particular store that I wanted to check out to possibly do a little Christmas shopping, but upon arriving, I learned that they don't open until 11. Slackers. So I headed back home to pick up shoes I had to return at Nordstrom. Remember those black and neon green Asics I got in October? Turned out they are, by far, the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn. They actually rubbed the skin off of my Achilles' tendon. On top of that, they're too narrow, so my jeans were constantly slipping underneath them as I walked and they were incredibly heavy little shoes. Good riddance! I was bummed, however, when I showed up at Nordstrom and the guy that took care of me last time was there again this time. He was a big douche and basically called me a liar when I told them I only wore them twice, but whatev...I walked out with new shoes that should be a lot better. I've been looking for new brown shoes for a long time and found these Clarks that I like a lot. While I still would like to get a dressier pair of brown shoes, these are nice in that they look good with jeans and can probably still be pulled off with a pair of slacks. They're light, comfortable and I would call them Seattle-style casual office shoes. See for yourself...



After that, I was driving around, killing time before 11. I saw some signs for a "multi-family indoor yard sale" that I decided to follow. They led me to a random warehouse and it turned out to be some sort of fundraiser for a local Christian Academy. I walked in and there were six little tables that were absolutely dwarfed in this gigantic warehouse. The first table was manned by a mid-20s thuggish guy that had a bunch of clothes, two DVDs and a paintball gun on display. As I approached his table, he said, "Hey, ever seen one of these?" as he pulled out this strange, cylindrical handheld contraption from his pocket. Before I could say no, he was unfolding blades and it was a four-bladed knife that's only purpose would be for a little no-nonsense stabbing. Playing dumb, I asked, "What is that for?" to which he replied, "It's for protection! I just carry it around to make sure nobody messes with me!" Needless to say, I passed on the protection device and also passed on stiletto flip flops, Jesus hats and cheetah-print, furry candle holders.



While searching for a picture of that, I came across this — which is just insane.

I finally headed back over to the store that opened at 11, but couldn't find what I was looking for. After that, I met up with a buddy from work to play some disc golf. I really suck at throwing frisbees and it was nearly as frustrating as real golf. But we had a great time and agreed to play again sometime. After that we had some Thai food at a place called Twisted Noodles and it was excellent. After that, I came home, took a nap and I've just been chillin' tonight. Good times!

No comments: