Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Meg's Visit

My sister was able to come out and visit this weekend and it was awesome. She arrived Friday at about 5, so I took off from work a little bit early to go pick her up. Having skipped lunch that day, I was starving, so we headed straight to dinner. I really wanted to take her to my favorite little Mexican place here in town. Remember, it's the place that shares a location with the Jamaican restaurant that I found on accident? We got there and I was really bummed out to find that the Mexican part of the place had gone out of business. We tried the Jamaican and it was pretty good (awesome pineapple soda!), but it's too bad about that Mexican place...

After that we headed over to Locopops for some dessert, where more disappointment ensued. Don't worry...Locopops is still in business (with a lot of help from me), but they changed to their winter hours and close at 6 now. Boo! With that plan squashed, we headed over to the mall to get some ice cream and see a movie. We got there at about 7:30, which meant we had to decide between rushing into the 7:25 showing of Role Models, or waiting until 10. We decided to wait because that would allow us to get some ice cream, wander around the mall and not get stuck with horrible seats. The movie was hilarious—so good that I told Cheryl that I would see it again with her. We got home and kept the movies rolling by popping in Mallrats.

We slept in on Saturday, hit up Starbucks and then grabbed lunch at my favorite restaurant, The Q Shack. Megan loved it! After that we drove around Duke's campus while the food settled, before grabbing some dessert at Locopops. They must only have one employee on the weekends, because it was the same kid there that was there all three times Kelly, Matt and I visited. He laughed when I walked in and said, "You're always bringing in different people!" I had chocolate horchata and Megan chose the mighty mojito. Mmm! We then zipped over to Chapel Hill for a little campus comparison. We parked the car and walked around Franklin Street, which is nice. We found another Locopops and couldn't resist stopping. I had trail mix (banana, coconut and nuts) and Megan tried pomegranate tangerine. I saw a cool sign on the window of a pizza place, but we didn't eat there...

After that we came home and took a little nap before heading to a party at one of my coworker's place. He just bought a condo with his girlfriend and his birthday was the next day, so there were many reasons to celebrate. We only stayed about an hour and a half, but it was a lot of fun. Because we forgot to find a UNC store for Megan to find a sweatshirt that afternoon, we headed over to the mall again to get her a Tarheels hoodie. After that we grabbed some food in the food court and then headed home to watch Saturday Night Live, which was pretty good but we turned it off after Weekend Update to watch a movie we picked up that day, John Tucker Must Die. I told Megan to buy it because I remember it being really funny. I think I owe her $5...

We slept in again on Sunday and then headed to brunch at Elmo's. It was really busy and we had to wait about 20 minutes before ending up at the counter next to a semi-crazy woman and a couple that reminded us of Screech and Lisa Turtle. We both had the apple-stuffed cinnamon french toast, which was pretty good, but a little too soggy. Since Elmo's is so close to Locopops, we had to have a little post-brunch dessert, so we headed over there and continued choosing the same food, with my recommendation of Mexican chocolate. Delicious! After that we got a little silly and decided to go to Chucky Cheese's! Good times! As we pulled up, my heart sank.

That's right, Boston Market has closed. Cheryl said she'll still come visit though. Meg and I had a great time playing some skee-ball and video games before heading back home to chill. We took another nap and then headed out to a place called Tomato Jake's for some pizza. Kind of a weird place. It's in a strip mall near Target and the decor is funky neon, like an old Trapper Keeper, but the menu has a mafia theme. It doesn't really mesh, but the food was pretty good.

After that we came home and...watched more movies! I guess it was the weekend of popsicles, movies and out-of-business restaurants! We watched some classics: Superbad and Forgetting Sarah Marshall before heading to bed. In between the movies, Meg gave me a haircut and ended up with some furry socks...

It was another awesome weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In retrospect, it appears that I put a little too much emphasis on feasting, back in our bedtime story days...

Caroline Chapman said...

the socks crack me up! Cheryl will like the fresh hair this weekend :) Can't wait to see the pics and the locopops report.


Actually, have you looked into franchising opportunities? We could open it with the mini golf course.