Tuesday, September 16, 2008

September 16, 2008

It’s been a while since I’ve done a daily recap around here, which apparently annoyed my loyal reader(s), so here goes…

I had a great day at the office today. I went in a little early (because I wanted to take off a little early), but it turned out that I couldn’t actually start work early because the Internet was down at the office. That only lasted about a half hour though, so I wrote my last blog entry for a while, recapping the Texas League championship. After that I worked on writing up some of the most memorable moments of the season for the next issue and then wrote little playoff recaps for another part of the issue. So, including my player feature, there will be three parts of the next issue that I worked on, which is cool.

I was hoping to leave work at about 5:45 because I was meeting a friend for dinner at 6:30 in Burlington, which is about 45 minutes away. But, at about 5:35, one of the designers came up and asked me to proof the page he laid out with the playoff recaps. They had to put an ad on that page, he said, and I needed to cut out 90 lines of text! 90 lines! It took about 20 minutes and right when I was going to save, my computer crashed. We pulled it back up and the changes weren’t there. So, I asked him if this was something he absolutely needed tonight, or if it could wait until the morning. He said it would be fine in the morning, so that’s how my day will begin tomorrow.

So I didn’t end up leaving the office until 6:10. I had no idea what to expect, traffic-wise, but I just put the pedal to the metal and headed out to Burlington. I met up with my buddy Dave and had dinner at a place called O’Charley’s. There was no traffic and I ended up making it out there in just 30 minutes. Dinner was good and it was nice to meet up with Dave. We talked about the Mariners (depressing), his fantasy baseball domination (he was so good after one year the whole league folded), life in Carolina, the price of going to see Duke or UNC play basketball (too much), his wedding/honeymoon, college, all kinds of stuff. Dave’s a great guy—he had a hand in getting me out here in the first place, so I owe him a big one (and a dinner)!

I got lost on the way home, though. Normally I wouldn’t care, but I really had to pee. There’s a part of the freeway where it basically splits and says:

←DURHAM RALEIGH→

Which one would you choose? I stayed left, but that ended up getting me lost. I could have gotten home either way, but I came from the other way, so that’s what I was expecting and it got me turned around. I drove around and around and finally ended up right next to Locopops. Unfortunately they had just closed, otherwise I would have put another stamp on my card! But I knew how to get home from there and finally made it home at about 9:15 (meaning it took me about an hour to get home, or twice as long as it took me to get out there!). So now I’m just chillin’. I watched last week’s Project Runway on YouTube and now I’m reading baseball blogs and looking at stats (shocking, I know).

In random news, I’m growing a beard for my potential Halloween costume. This is just a trial run though because I told Cheryl I’d shave before Washington D.C. Also, my new shoes started falling apart today. I’m taking a page out of the Jean Addams playbook to see if I can get Phil Knight to send me a new pair.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

If you really loved your wife, you wouldn't humiliate her by growing the beard in the first place! Just because I'm not there to nag you in person doesn't mean I can't do it via blog comments. Your beard is gross.

AMB said...

Yes! You heard my silent plea. The daily recap is back! Now the only thing left on my Conor Blog Wish List is more clever titles for your posts.

ConorGlassey said...

I'll work on it...