Sunday, August 10, 2008

August 10, 2008

First full day in Durham

So today was our first full day in Durham. Not as hot as I expected, but it's pretty muggy. Cheryl and I ate breakfast right across the hotel at Waffle House. If you've never been to the south before, Waffle Houses are everywhere. So, I figured they must be good. Not so much... Cheryl called it Awful House.



Then we went to Target to pick up a few things that I'll need (bathroom supplies and the like). Holding off on looking for a futon or TV until I figure out where I'm going to live (yeah, it's still up in the air right now).

We went and looked at a possible house that's in downtown Durham, near Duke. I would be living with four other guys and the house seems nice enough, but it's pretty far from where I'll be working and the neighborhood seemed a little shady. I know I would really like living with four guys and the one I met today seemed like a real solid guy that I would get along with, but it might be worth a little bit more money to live closer to work. I e-mailed another prospect tonight and hope to have something figured out very soon. I'm interviewing with the main guy at the Durham house Tuesday after work, so that's still a possibility...

After that, Cheryl and I ate dinner at Subway and then headed out toward Apex to watch a movie. We got to the mall area at about 6:15, but the movie we were going to see (Step Brothers) didn't start until 8. So, Cheryl and I killed some time at Borders and then got ice cream. I picked up a copy of the Independent Weekly, which is like the Research Triangle version of Seattle Weekly or The Stranger. Looks like there are some good concerts coming up, which is good to see.

If I end up living closer to the office, I'm going to look for a part time job and working at the mall area Cheryl and I visited today would make sense. Borders or the movie theater are possibilities. Maybe Starbucks or waiting tables? I don't know, I'm kind of clumbsy!

Eight o'clock finally rolled around and we headed to the theater. I wasn't expecting much after seeing the movie get just one star in the Independent, but it was awesome! I highly recommend it. There were parts where I was laughing so hard I was crying and two times I thought I might pass out. Cheryl was a little embarrassed (as is usually the case when we see comedies in the theater), but it was a good stress relief, as I'm a little nervous/anxious for the first day of work tomorrow! I told Cheryl that it was my favorite Will Ferrell movie ever, but we'll see if that stands the test of time. Currently, I think would rank his top three movies as: Anchorman, Elf, Blades of Glory, with Old School a close fourth.



So now, Cheryl and I are hanging out, watching the Olympics and eating jelly beans. Tomorrow's the first day at work, so I'll keep you posted! :)

1 comment:

AMB said...

Love your blog! I read the entire thing word for word. Keep us posted on how the housing thing pans out!