Saturday, August 9, 2008

The crazy 10 days before the trip

If you don't know, I'm now in Durham, North Carolina where I'm about to begin an internship with Baseball America magazine. This is thrilling for me, as my dream is to become a baseball writer. However, it is also sad because I'll be living 3,000 miles from my family and friends for the next six months. This blog is to keep everyone up to date on what's happening in my life while I'm out here. But, before that begins, I'm going to recap the weeks leading up to the first day on the job. Here goes...

Thursday, July 24th: I found out that I was selected to intern at Baseball America. Cheryl and I had already started packing in anticipation of the news and were in a rush to get done by that Saturday, which allowed us to spend some extra time with family before the adventure. I let my boss know that Friday, July 25th would be my last day on the job.

Friday, July 25th: It was my last day on the job and I picked up a U-Haul truck on the way home. It was a mad dash to get our condo all packed up (thanks to our families for helping out!)

Saturday, July 26th: Everything was basically packed and we spent the day moving boxes and furniture into families' garages (again, thanks everybody!) We had to get the truck returned by 4 p.m. and just barely made it! After the truck was returned, Cheryl and I headed up to Birch Bay for the week, a Bean-family tradition that has been happening for more than 60 years!

Sunday, July 27th through Thursday, July 31st: We hung out with the family in Birch Bay. It was awesome that everyone was there this year and we had a blast going to the beach, poking geoduck holes, tie-dying shirts, eating candy, playing games, driving go karts, mini golfing, swimming and relaxing. Here are some pictures from the week...


The tides were AWESOME this week, as you can see...


We even found a big, purple starfish!


The kids had a great time with all of their cousins.


Max was super cute and showed us his cute remix of the ABCs.


Cheryl spearheaded a family-wide tie-dying party and the shirts turned out great! It was seriously a hit and I hope to see the Bean clan rocking the tie dye next year at the Bay! :)


We all wore our new shirts down to the C-Shop. It's a whale of a place to go!


The shirts brought out everyone's crazy side...


Here's Jon trying to blow up a rubber glove on his head.


...and our cute side!












We raced go karts at Miniature World.












Aside from being a great singer, Max never turns down a chance to say "cheese" for the camera!








Friday, August 1st: All in all, a great time was had by all, but it was time to head back down to Seattle. Cheryl and I left Birch Bay and had lunch with our friends Mike and Jen in Bellingham before heading back home where we ran a few last-minute errands and then went to Aaron and Gina's beautiful wedding.

Saturday, August 2nd: Cheryl and I woke up early and spent three hours making our condo SPOTLESS! We dropped Cheryl's car off for an oil change before our 3,000-mile journey but, because it was my last day in the Seattle area until Christmas, we also had some fun! I went and watched the Blue Angels take off at Boeing Field with my family and then we headed to a Mariners game. Good times! After the game, Cheryl and I went to her house to pack the car. Not a big deal, except that we all ended up walking in on a slimy couple's intimate moment...


Really, I just wanted an excuse to post this picture on my Web site, but seriously...watching slugs get it on was epic! We stayed up until 2:30 a.m. picking out CDs for the road trip.

No comments: