Thursday, August 14, 2008

August 13, 2008

First Durham Bulls game!



Quick recap of yesterday, just to keep things fresh. I was way too tired to do it last night, because it was a busy day...

First of all, it rained pretty much all day. Given my recent luck, I was worried that the Durham Bulls game would be rained out. I came into work at the usual time and typed out a first draft of the story I'm writing for the next issue. It's coming along nicely and I'm just waiting to hear back from a coach today and I think it will be good to go.

After that, I went and picked up the key for my new house. Both of the guys living there left in the morning, so the place was empty. So I went and picked up Cheryl at the hotel, we packed up the car, checked out and drove over to the new digs. I suggested that, instead of going out for lunch, like were were planning, we should just unload everything into the house and have lunch there. It was a great idea, as it felt so good to have everything out of the car and into my new house. I still can't believe how perfectly everything came together and I'm so happy with how it all worked out. The house is awesome and I know it will be a great place to live for the next 5+ months. (Cheryl is on picture duty today, so look for those tonight!)

After our PB&Js, Cheryl dropped me back off at work and then went all wifey by going out and buying me sheets, a laundry basket and groceries. She also unpacked and organized everything in my room. Best. Wife. Ever.

I went back to work and found out that I'll be doing some daily blogging on the Baseball America site beginning on Friday. Very exciting! I'll show you all how to read the stuff when that time comes. I also got a pair of tickets to the Durham Bulls game that night from the office season tickets. That was cool because Cheryl and I were planning on going anyway (and several coworkers laughed at me when I asked if I should buy tickets in advance or if I could just walk up to the ticket window. Their response? "Dude, you work at Baseball America now. We don't pay for baseball games!")

Cheryl picked me up at 6, we headed home for a sec and then headed off to Durham Bulls Athletic Park. It's a really nice Triple-A stadium (especially compared to Cheney!). Got there just in time to see David Price warming up in the bullpen (pictures later) and then headed to our seats, behind home plate. Price looked ok. The defense didn't help him a lot, but he was struggling to put hitters away and threw about 30 pitches in the first inning. Because of that (and the fact that he started to get hit around a little), he only went 4 innings, giving up 7 hits and 3 runs. He struck out 6 and walked 0.



Because we were both tired, Cheryl and I decided to leave after the 7th inning, with the Bulls trailing 7-3. We headed down to the team store and were looking around, when the TV announcer said the Norfolk Tides were warming up Kam Mickolio. I turned to Cheryl and said, 'I'm sorry, but I have to go back,' explaining that Mickolio was part of the franchise-crippling package given to the Orioles for Erik Bedard. She understood. Again, Best. Wife. Ever.

Mickolio was a little wild, the defense made some errors and the Bulls mounted a little comeback, but fell just short, ultimately losing 7-6.



We got back to the house at about 10, watched a little Olympics and headed to bed. Another great day!

No comments: