Saturday, August 9, 2008

Road Trip: Day 4

Hanging out in Boulder, Colorado



Like I said, little Jack became our new best friend. He's a Patterdale Terrier and he's sooooo cute! We woke up at about 8:30, showered and had an awesome breakfast of cereal, donuts, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. Then, Joan took us out to toodle around Boulder. We first went up Flagstaff Mountain and took in the great view of Boulder. Then we went shopping at the Pearl Street mall, where there are some awesome stores and she took us to lunch at a place called Hapa. They offer an innovative twist on the food, and it was extremely delicious, but I've never felt so bloated after eating Sushi. I made Joan try eel and she made me try her favorite, a house specialty roll called the multiple orgasm that had crab, cream cheese and a bunch of other delicious stuff all deep fried together...mmm!



After that, we drove around Boulder and finally found a statue of Ralphie, the buffalo mascot for the University of Colorado. My dad better like this picture because I was almost attacked by bees trying to get it! Joan almost wet her pants, she was laughing so hard. We went back to the house and hung out for a little bit before Cheryl and I headed to Denver to go to the Rockies game and Joan and Scott went to a concert.



We left Boulder at 3 to beat traffic downtown and were at Coors Field by 3:30...for a game that was supposed to start at 7. Cheryl is an absolute TROOPER! We walked around the stadium for a while, I bought a Troy Tulowitzki T-shirt, and then we went to the Breckenridge Brewery for some snacks (chili cheese fries and deep fried mac and cheese wedges) before meeting up with a sketchy scalper in a deal arranged on Craigslist. Only, at this point, it had begun to rain. There was clear sky on the horizon, however, and I was sure the light drizzle would pass without a problem. We went into the stadium and walked around for a while, waiting for Blair to meet us there. I really like Coors Field. For obvious reasons, it really reminds me of Safeco Field, but there are certain aspects about Coors that I like better. I like that when you walk in from the home plate entrance, you walk straight in and can see the field, as opposed to walking up stairs to the concourse. I also like that in left field, the concourse is open air — at Safeco, it always feels like you're walking through a tunnel.

One thing I definitely like better about Safeco, however, is the roof. Coors could have used one on this night, as rain spoiled the game. It didn't spoil the entire evening, though. One thing I wanted to do at Coors Field was try Rocky Mountain Oysters. While I didn't hate them, I don't believe that I would seek them out again. I'm glad that I gave them a shot, but I don't see myself ever craving the taste of chewy chicken that has been soaked in saltwater...



Speaking of sucking balls, the game was rained out. So, Cheryl, Blair and I decided we'd try to go see Seth Rogan's new movie, "The Pineapple Express". We drove a half hour to the Cherry Creek Mall, only to find out that the movie was sold out. So, we ended up watching Adam Corolla's "The Hammer" at Blair's apartment. Cheryl and I had seen it before, but I think I actually liked it even better the second time around.

1 comment:

Caroline Chapman said...

So far, your blog has made me very hungry. Seriously, i'm going to trace your footsteps to eat (minus the oysters) You guys eat way better on vacation than Horia and I do...but i'll save the stories about raisins and almonds for some other time.