Monday, August 25, 2008

August 25, 2008

MacGyver meets Martha Stewart



Sorry for the lack of a post yesterday. I usually do my posting at night and last night was spent Skype-ing with Cheryl until 1 in the morning, so I went right to bed after that. Plus, yesterday wasn't too exciting anyway. I just woke up, got Starbucks, did a little shopping (I got a can opener and a bigger pot!), played some Madden and relaxed. I was going to go to another baseball game, but the guy I was going with bailed on me and I was too tired to drive out there by myself. So I scrapped that and just hung out. It was a nice, relaxing day.

Oh yeah, my roommate moved in yesterday and he's awesome. His name is Josh and he's really nice. Kind of reminds me of a country-fried Uncle Chuck. For the past four years he was a high school science teacher and now he's back at UNC to get his masters.

Today, I woke up a little early because I headed out to the post office before work to mail Cheryl an awesome care package. I got to work and it was (surprise, surprise) another great day. I went in and did my morning work (here) and then finished up a database project I was working on. I don't have any writing assignments this cycle, so I'll be doing a lot of data entry for the next two weeks. I did find out that I might get a Web-only story, but we'll see...
I went home and made lunch and got a nice surprise when I returned ... the new issue was being passed out around the office. I got my copy and it was still a little warm! I immediately flipped to my page and seeing my name inside the magazine I've been subscribing to for the past three years was a thrill. Conor Glassey in Baseball America. Still kind of hard to believe! It was very exciting and the article (although chopped down) turned out well. There were two minor errors in the notes section of my page, but nothing major and I doubt other people will even notice. Anyway, the new issue has Angels reliever Scot Shields on the cover because there's a big feature on baseball's unsung heroes, middle relievers. Here is a list of places you can buy the issue, but wait a little while as I don't think it's actually on newsstands yet. To be on the safe side, wait until next week.

After work, I played a little Madden and then cooked myself dinner, which was an adventure. Sure, I have a shiny new pot, but when I was taking the stickers off, I realized it was a sauce pot and there were four warnings not to use it at high heats because of its copper bottom. Why sauce needs a special pot and why anyone would want that much sauce is beyond me. Wanting to make macaroni and cheese, I ignored the warnings and it seemed fine. However, as the water was boiling, I realized I don't have a strainer. So I had to improvise by poking some holes in a paper bowl. The mac n' cheese turned out great and I even added some fresh broccoli. I'm like MacGyver meets Martha Stewart!

Now I'm watching the Dodgers and Phillies on ESPN and doing some laundry.

No comments: