Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 17, 2008

Saying goodbye

Sleeping went a lot better than last night and Cheryl and I woke up at about 9. We started the day by heading to Starbucks where I got my usual iced coffee and Cheryl tried the new Viviano orange, banana and mango smoothie — I had a sip and it was ok, but tasted a little too much like protein powder and vitamins for my liking. I don't think they have Jamba Juice out here, which is too bad! After that we headed back out to SuperTarget for a few more things that I needed for my new house. Then we went to lunch at Boston Market and then headed out to Chapel Hill to visit a different Locopops. I tried the fluffernutter and Cheryl had strawberries n' cream. That place is awesome!

After that I had to take Cheryl to the airport and it was brutal. I've been trying to block out the thought of being apart for the past few weeks, but it hit me like a brick wall as we were driving to the airport. Cheryl and I have had such a great time the past few weeks on our road trip and out here in North Carolina and it's going to be so tough to be apart from her for the next five months. She's my best friend and I love her more than anything in the world. So, saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I think it will make us stronger as a couple. As we were sitting in the car at the airport, I thought about what it must be like for people who have loved ones going off to Iraq and it really put things in perspective for me. Nothing can substitute for a hug and a kiss, but at least we'll be able to see each other and talk everyday. Thanks to technology, we're only a phone call, e-mail, test message or video chat away. Plus, we get to see each other in about five weeks in Washington D.C. and then again at Christmas. I'm so grateful that I have a wife that is so supportive of my goal of becoming a baseball writer. I love you Cheryl!

I got a little lost on the way home from the airport, but eventually found my way home. I don't have a roommate for another week and the house was way too quiet. I was bummed out and ended up taking a little nap before hearing from Cheryl when she got to Atlanta for her layover. After that I made myself dinner, cutting up Cheryl's leftover steak from last night for an awesome quesadilla and decided it would be a good idea to go to a movie instead of sulking in my silent house. It was a good plan as it killed some time and took my mind off of being alone (even though it was the first time I've gone to a movie by myself). I saw "Tropic Thunder" and it was OK, but I think I liked "Step Brothers" better. I did see some good previews though (Sex Drive and Role Models) and it felt good to laugh. I'm going to have to follow my own advice to Cheryl and keep myself busy while I'm out here to keep from going crazy.

Now I'm home, watching the Olympics and waiting for Cheryl to call from Seattle.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love you too sweetheart, and I'm counting down the days until Washington D.C.! Thanks to Susie and Chuck (if they are reading this) for flying my lonely butt out to DC to hang out with Conor!!!

GREGY said...

ohh...should I call a whaaaambulance! I don't see cheryl for 6 months and you don't see me crying!! Just kidding, kari and I were apart for several months and it sucks. More baseball, coke and XBOX and that yummy mexican place.